Welcome to our website !

Hidden vegetables in recipe (No 1/3)

By 20:49

Wednesday 17th June 2015

MY FIRST RECIPE-
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND VEGETABLE SAUCE/SOUP 


Over the next month or two I will be blogging my favourite ways to cook with 'hidden vegetables'.  Like all parents I would like Alanna my daughter (aged 22 months) to eat as many vegetables as possible for optimal health.  I'm sure you already know hiding them in and amongst carbohydrates and protein is a good way of doing this.  However, I still believe that children seeing vegetables in their real shape and form on the plate is just as important.  So I therefore do a bit of both. For the school in London where I currently teach, I recently organised a school trip for 8 year olds to the Holland Park Ecology Centre.  Im pleased to say I was impressed with my groups  current knowledge about how food is grown. But I know this is not applicable for all children - a sad fact. I have every faith in Jamie Oliver's new scheme 'Kitchen Garden Project' to help change that. 

Anyhow, you'll be pleased to hear this recipe goes a long way for not a lot of money. It is also an excellent way of feeding your family with many nutrients. Butternut squash is packed full of vitamin A and I have kept the peel on for this recipe for extra fibre. For a slightly thinner sauce feel free to add a splash of milk or water. Alternatively it can be eaten as a soup.  


Makes 3L

Ingredients:
1 squash (keep skin on) chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 carrot chopped
2 sweet potatoes (keep skin on) chopped
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper
1 litre of vegetable stock (I used reduced salt)
1-2 tbsp milk/water


Method:
Preheat the oven to 200C/329F. Leave the squash, potato and carrot peel on, rinse thoroughly and cut roughly into 1 cm cubes.  Toss all the vegetables in approximately 1 tbsp oil together with the oregano, maple syrup and season well. Scatter into one or two large shallow roasting tins (ideally stainless steel) and roast for roughly 60 minutes until it is brown and soft.
Once cooked, allow to cool. You can either use a hand blender adding the stock to your roasting tins or transfer the vegetable medley (with the stock) into a blender.
Check for taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. 
Serve with pasta of your choice with a sprinkling of cheese.
Any sauce left over transfer to sterilised jars or freeze in ice cube trays. 


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiFDPmTghe5dhWghOtXCASMTloQEPLJka0KdV42JlGGkOjWjqmsxaEAnCpG2ZZ_LHNh2OHOmJZoJRN0uKmuyh8TlmUIAnEz5ZmVJyspT-etg1WmB5k0025zqXkC4SSpMa1lYjg9ovyHAhk/s1600/IMG_8647.jpg

Total time (prep and cooking): 1 hour 20 minutes
Suitable for: Gluten free, vegans, vegetarians, 6 months+
Other meal ideas: Serve over gnocchi with grated cheese and cold meats. Add crunchy croutons/bacon for a soup topping. 









You Might Also Like

0 comments