Welcome to our website !

Irish Soda Bread recipe

By 06:00


IRISH SODA BREAD RECIPE


In celebration of Saint Patrick's Day this week, or the Feast of Saint Patrick I thought I would make Irish soda bread. It is terrific loaf to make when time is of the essence, as it contains sodium bicarbonate as a leavening agent (instead of the more common yeast where proving is required). In my recipe, I have served this delicious bread with my father's very own flavourful marmalade. My father has been making marmalade at the start of every year for as long as I can remember. The kitchen always ended up in a sticky mess, which drove my mother crazy! However, the end result was always worth it- a years supply of marmalade! You can of course serve it with any jam of your choice or simply melted butter. Even though I won't be able to tuck into this loaf (gluten intolerant), I know my family will!



Recipe from BBC Good Food
Serves 6
Ingredients:
250g plain white flour
250g plain wholemeal flour
100g porridge oats
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
25g butter (in chunks)
500ml buttermilk
Butter and Jam


Method:
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C.
Dust a baking sheet with flour. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Quickly pour in the buttermilk and using your hands bring the dough together (handle it very, very gently). Next shape it into a flat, round loaf measuring 20cm/8in in diameter. 
Place the loaf on the baking sheet and score a deep cross in the top (to help the bread to cook through.) Bake for 30-40 minutes until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. If it isn’t ready after this time, turn it upside down on the baking sheet and bake for a few minutes more.
Transfer to a wire rack, cover with a clean tea towel (this keeps the crust nice and soft) and leave to cool. 

It is best eaten on the same day and broken into quarters. 

Total time (prep & cooking): 50 minutes

You Might Also Like

0 comments