Welcome to our website !

Chocolate & Beetroot Cake recipe

By 13:12

CHOCOLATE & BEETROOT CAKE RECIPE 


I have to admit I did struggle to decide what to make for Mother's Day. What treat would I like and appeal to other mothers too?  Since becoming a mum I rarely put myself first, so this was a nice change. In the end it was an obvious choice - a healthy moist chocolate cake that is adaptable for all.  Generally I find most gluten free cakes on the market too sweet, dry and expensive. My recipe uses spelt flour but I was happy to discover that rice flour worked just as well. I have never used beetroot in a cake before and boy does it work well!  It adds natural sweetness, earthiness, richness and moisture. Also what better way to hide a vegetable - one I am sure my daughter wouldn't fancy on a plate - than in a cake! I can assure you the mess from grating raw beetroot is definitely worth it. Baking with extra virgin olive oil instead of butter also made a nice change. So what better way to celebrate Mother's Day than with a delicious healthy chocolate cake. 



Inspired and adapted from 'The Green Kitchen' cookbook

Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
150ml extra virgin olive oil
120ml honey and or maple syrup
50g dark chocolate broken
250g raw beetroot grated
3 eggs beaten
200g spelt/ rice flour*
2 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp cacao powder
A pinch of sea salt
Icing sugar to decorate (optional)
* Gluten free

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Grease a (10 in) bundt cake tin or grease and line a 20 cm cake tin.
Warm the oil in a pan over a very low heat. Add the maple syrup/honey and chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and add the beets and eggs.
In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking and cacao powder. Then stir this into the beet mixture.
Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes in a bundt tin and 35-40 minutes in a cake tin- or until slightly cracked on top and a little sticky inside.
Before removing from the cake tin, allow to cool for roughly 15 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar if extra sweetness is desired. 
This cake is best served warm with berries and yoghurt.





Total time (prep and cooking): 1 hour.
Suitable for: Gluten/dairy free, and vegetarian.
Other meal ideas: Delicious served with berries and Greek yoghurt.

You Might Also Like

0 comments